Re: enhanced debian-changelog-mode.el

[Sorry for being so late, I've been away]

Chris Waters wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
> > Chris Waters wrote:

> > > The colon is required, and whitespace is not allowed.  The perl regexp
> > > used by dinstall is: "/closes:\s*(bug)?\#\d+(,\s*(bug)?\#\d+)*/i".  I
> >                                 ^^              ^^
> > That's whitespace.
>
> That's whitespace a) after the colon, and b) after the comma which
> follows a number.  My regexp does recognize whitespace there.  No
> whitespace is allowed between "bug" and "#".

Sorry then.  I'd lost the original email with your regexp.
I still think no space in "bug#" loos weird, but since you say
it's magic then that makes sense.

> > I tried to find a reference to the suggested format used in a
> > changelog, but couldn't.
>
> That's a problem, but it's not my fault.  :-)

:-)

> >  Developers tend to use all sorts of formats.  Should we try to
> >  fontify them all?
>
> The syntax in question is magic.  It will cause the bug to be
> *automatically* closed by dinstall.  I think that's an important
> enough feature to be worth highlighting.  Developers may use other
> formats, but those won't trigger any automatic behavior by Debian
> tools, so I see no reason to specially highlight them.

Might be useful to fontify them in a less `urgent' colour (if a
good regexp can be found), but I agree that the _magic_ meaning
is most useful.

> > The only problem is that bug numbers only end up in the changelog
> > after they are closed and then they disappear quickly from the
> > BTS.  If bugs were archived forever, we could add a
> > lookup-this-bug function easily, but this wouldn't be useful now.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of a "lookup the open bugs for
> this package" function for changelog mode, so you could more easily
> add the closers in the changelog.  My primary target here is
> developers working on their own packages.  What you suggest might be
> nice for browsing the changelogs of other people's packages, but
> that's not really my main focus here.

I understnad now.  Great idea.

Peter