Re: enhanced debian-changelog-mode.el

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
> Chris Waters wrote:
> > Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> > > Also, I'd add optional whitespace space between "bug" and "#" and
> > > also make the colon optional:

> > The colon is required, and whitespace is not allowed.  The perl regexp
> > used by dinstall is: "/closes:\s*(bug)?\#\d+(,\s*(bug)?\#\d+)*/i".  I
>                                 ^^              ^^
> That's whitespace.

That's whitespace a) after the colon, and b) after the comma which
follows a number.  My regexp does recognize whitespace there.  No
whitespace is allowed between "bug" and "#".

> > didn't design this, I'm just trying to highlight it.  :-)

> I tried to find a reference to the suggested format used in a
> changelog, but couldn't.

That's a problem, but it's not my fault.  :-)

>  Developers tend to use all sorts of formats.  Should we try to
>  fontify them all?

The syntax in question is magic.  It will cause the bug to be
*automatically* closed by dinstall.  I think that's an important
enough feature to be worth highlighting.  Developers may use other
formats, but those won't trigger any automatic behavior by Debian
tools, so I see no reason to specially highlight them.

> > Very good suggestion, thanks.  Definitely worth looking into.
> > (Ideally, I'd like to provide functionality to browse the bug
> > database, perhaps through ldap or http, but that's probably going to
> > have to wait for a *much* later version....)

> The only problem is that bug numbers only end up in the changelog
> after they are closed and then they disappear quickly from the
> BTS.  If bugs were archived forever, we could add a
> lookup-this-bug function easily, but this wouldn't be useful now.

I was thinking more along the lines of a "lookup the open bugs for
this package" function for changelog mode, so you could more easily
add the closers in the changelog.  My primary target here is
developers working on their own packages.  What you suggest might be
nice for browsing the changelogs of other people's packages, but
that's not really my main focus here.

cheers