Re: enhanced debian-changelog-mode.el

Chris Waters wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
>
> > A few _quick_ comments.  A diff to my installed version shows you
> > added menus and font-lock, so perhaps this line is premature:
>
> >  ;; This version has been heavily modified and enhanced by Chris Waters
>
> Perhaps -- I wasn't originally intending to release anything this
> early until a couple of people on IRC showed an interest.  So the
> whole thing is a bit premature....

That's fine.

> > Also, since you are _adding_ to existing code, it would be polite
> > to respect the indentation used: don't use hanging closing
> > parens, like:
>
> > >      (3 font-lock-constant-face))
> > > ))
> >   ^^
>
> By the time I'm done, the existing code *will* be heavily modified.
> And much more than that will be reformatted to my preferences.

Okay, but you know what I meant.

> > Also, I'd add optional whitespace space between "bug" and "#" and
> > also make the colon optional:
>
> The colon is required, and whitespace is not allowed.  The perl regexp
> used by dinstall is: "/closes:\s*(bug)?\#\d+(,\s*(bug)?\#\d+)*/i".  I
                                ^^              ^^

That's whitespace.

> didn't design this, I'm just trying to highlight it.  :-)

I tried to find a reference to the suggested format used in a
changelog, but couldn't.  Developers tend to use all sorts of
formats.  Should we try to fontify them all?

> > If you want to be sure to fontify a `closes bug' line, implement
> > a debian-changelog-close-bug function.
>
> Very good suggestion, thanks.  Definitely worth looking into.
> (Ideally, I'd like to provide functionality to browse the bug
> database, perhaps through ldap or http, but that's probably going to
> have to wait for a *much* later version....)

The only problem is that bug numbers only end up in the changelog
after they are closed and then they disappear quickly from the
BTS.  If bugs were archived forever, we could add a
lookup-this-bug function easily, but this wouldn't be useful now.

> cheers
>
> p.s. if you're on the -emacsen list, maybe we can move this entirely
> to the list, and avoid the duplicate emails?

Yes, let's do that.

Peter