Re: UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this in ESP - help please.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 01:10:08AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>derrin@usa.net composed on 2022-11-20 13:33 (UTC):
>
>> UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this  in ESP - help please.Straight to the question
>
>> Option 1 How do I force the UEFI Boot Option to search one of the above efi files actually created by the debian install when UEFI will only search for bootx64.efi
>
>>   This seems  a voodoo task because during initial analysis the UEFI ignores looking for an instructed efi and over-rides looking for bootx64.efi
>
>Did you consider giving it what it wants? I've spent the past 7-10 days examining
>UEFI issues, while hesitant to actually experiment with perfectly functioning
>installations. I looked at the files in /boot/efi/EFI/, and it appears all you
>should need to do after apparently installing grub2-efi correctly by finding
>/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi, but with the UEFI BIOS being uncooperative. Try
>copying

No! Don't do things this way! See the wiki at

  https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Force_grub-efi_installation_to_the_removable_media_path

instead.

>	/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
>	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi

This will make no difference at all - nothing will look for files
there.

>and
>	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

This is the removable media path, so it should boot this time. But it
may break in future - see the warning in that wiki page.

>and
>	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

This is exactly the same path as the previous entry - the EFI System
Partition uses VFAT, which is case-insensitive.

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis