Re: UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this in ESP - help please.

derrin@usa.net composed on 2022-11-20 13:33 (UTC):

> UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this  in ESP - help please.Straight to the question

> Option 1 How do I force the UEFI Boot Option to search one of the above efi files actually created by the debian install when UEFI will only search for bootx64.efi

>   This seems  a voodoo task because during initial analysis the UEFI ignores looking for an instructed efi and over-rides looking for bootx64.efi

Did you consider giving it what it wants? I've spent the past 7-10 days examining
UEFI issues, while hesitant to actually experiment with perfectly functioning
installations. I looked at the files in /boot/efi/EFI/, and it appears all you
should need to do after apparently installing grub2-efi correctly by finding
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi, but with the UEFI BIOS being uncooperative. Try
copying

	/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi
and
	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
and
	/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

Once you've managed to boot as a result of these copies, or via a chroot if
necessary, and yet find behavior still wrong, use efibootmgr to create a new
entry, e.g.:

	efibootmgr -c -L "debian" -d /dev/nvme0n1 -l '\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi'

Optionally, first delete existing non-working entries with efibootmgr to clear the
space they consume in NVRAM. Many BIOSes are bad managers of NVRAM space
allocations when existing boot entries become obsolete, making useless entries
accumulate, and bloat BBS screens.

Even better, which is what I've been doing for 4 years, if this machine will ever
have multiple installations, edit the config responsible for the name of the UEFI
boot entry, /etc/default/grub's

	GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
to read
	GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="deb11homer"

or any other unique GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR= string, so that each installation will have
its own UEFI entry without risk of overwriting any other entry on the ESP or in NVRAM.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata