UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this in ESP - help please.

To : debian-efi@lists.debian.org

From : Derrin Morton

Subject : UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this  in ESP - help please.

Hi Folks – I have spent my tiny brain capacity and drawn a blank – probably not reviewing the correct documentation –

I had managed to avoid bugging the Debian lists for about 10 years – having installed it successfully on various old laptops – and recently inside a Windows WSL.

The problems come later when I find my hard ware just doesn’t have enough grunt for the data workloads and tools I experiment with (next challenge – elasticsearch et al.)

So “treating” myself to a refurbed server.  Still hoping to keep Debian as the main stay – but aiming to build a number of docker containers with access to ZFS 2x2TB filesystem

Climbed the first step off ground zero – got the OS installed – just unable to launch into it because UEFI doesn’t seem to want to play

Skipping to the question  (back drop and detail below)

UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this  in ESP - help please.Straight to the question

Option 1 How do I force the UEFI Boot Option to search one of the above efi files actually created by the debian install when UEFI will only search for bootx64.efi

  This seems  a voodoo task because during initial analysis the UEFI ignores looking for an instructed efi and over-rides looking for bootx64.efi

Option2 – where can I source a bootx64.efi that UEFI will recognise and “make the boot up happen”, using the installed Debian 11.5

    e.g. – copy shimx64.efi as bootx64.efi

        will writing to /media/user/<GUID>/usr/lib/shim automatically copy to ESP ?

   (didn’t work)

    e.g. – copy a bootx64.efi from EFI/boot in ? https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/

     but will a bootx64.efi.signed file be required?

Back drop and context

Server Details

Dell Precision T5810 Tower Workstation

1 x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 Ten-Core 2.3GHz CPU

Manufacture Date : 17 April 2015

No other OS’s / brand new disks

Avoiding using Intel RST – planning to use ZFS

Debian image 11.5.0

Sourced via Jigdo

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/

Written to a KINGSTON USB stick with balenaEtcher on a Windows 11 machine

Launched UEFI booter successfully – and definitely UEFI booted in d-I (https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI?action="">)

Used the guided partition manager –

Left the ESP ; / ; /var as is (512 MB; 25GB; 10GB, respectively

Changed swap ;  /tmp ;  /home for different sizes –  (72GB; 1GB; 85GB)

(64GB RAM – am likely going to need to hibernate as Mrs Derrin will want silence occasionally 8-)  )

Debian installation completed successfully

Removed all installation media and reboot

Black screen of doom

“No Bootable devices found”

with F1 help / F2 Enter settings / F5 run performance tests

So,  back to UEFI

A new entry was created in the UEFI Boot sequence called “debian” with a new FSO reference to bootx64.efi

Problem is – bootx64.efi is not in the FSO partition (presumably this is looking at the Debian created ESP Partition)

Only these files exist

FSO:/EFI/debian/

   shimx64.efi       grubx64.efi         mmx64.efi        fbx64.efi

   BOOTX64.CSV ?

   grub.cfg

So during the install – bootx64.csv was created – not bootx64.efi

Opened the file systems with  a Debian Live torrent grabbed and burnt to USB

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso.torrent

Does not open ESP partition – opens all other partitions fine.

Did find the “master?” .efi files using Debian Live

/media/user/<GUID>/usr/lib/shim :

   shimx64.efi       mmx64.efi        fbx64.efi

   BOOTX64.CSV ?

   shimx64.efi.signed       mmx64.efi.signed        fbx64.efi.signed

Contents of BOOTX64.CSV

“shimx64.efi, Debian,, This is the boot entry for debian"

Created a boot sequence boot order to use shimx64.efi – but UEFI on reboot adjusts it back to “bootx64.efi”

So UEFI is looking for bootx64.efi but Debian has rendered other efis.

So ?

Option 1 How to force UEFI Boot option to search one of the above Debian created .efi’s –

  This seems  a voodoo task because during initial analysis the UEFI ignores looking for an instructed efi and over-rides looking for bootx64.efi

Option2 – where to source a bootx64.efi that UEFI will recognise and “make the boot up happen”,

    e.g. – copy shimx64.efi as bootx64.efi

        will writing to /media/user/<GUID>/usr/lib/shim automatically copy to ESP  ?

    e.g. – copy a bootx64.efi from EFI/boot in ? https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/

     but will a bootx64.efi.signed file be required ?

Working through the reference material

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

Debian installs grub-efi for its EFI bootloader, as:

Architecture

Path

amd64

\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi

Agreed – Debian has installed as expected – but UEFI is ignoring this – even when the boot option is manually explicitly configured

UEFI is ignoring this … and reverting the boot option to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi

Its like UEFI is only looking to USB for booting ?...  – Have disable support for USB Boot in UEFI – still black screen of death

Advice much appreciated

Derrin

Derrin Morton