Re: Question about installing Debian 8.0.3 arm64 on EUFI

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Ronald Maas <ronaldjmaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on the information listed by dmesg, the serial ports for ttyS0
> is one of 4 16550 UARTs integrated on the X-Gene SOC. Furthermore EFI
> RTC driver is used. Was not able to find anything about WDT. But so
> far the MP30-AR0 hardware seems pretty standard to me and in this
> regard probably similar to other X-Gene based boards.
>
> Actually I believe the only difference with this Gigabyte board is it
> includes an AST2400 BMC chip. Which is kind of nice to have VGA
> available

>>> I tried several options, but unfortunately non of these had any effect:
>>> console=ttyS0,115200 BOOT_DEBUG=2 DEBIAN_FRONT_END=text acpi=off

>>> I ran the Centos installer, and noticed their EFI stub displayed 2 more
>>> lines compared to Debian's version:
>>>
>>> EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
>>> EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table      <-----
>>> EFI stub: Existing boot services and installing virtual address map...
>>
>> Yeah, these two lines only went into 3.16 kernel, and I don't think
>> they were cherry-picked into the Jessie kernel.
>>
>>> <------
>>> L3c Cache: 8MB
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is helpful or not
>>>
>>> Anyway. Thanks for the suggestions. Ronald
>>
>> I'm guessing there is something required to boot on the Gigabyte which
>> is not yet supported on the Jessie 3.16 kernel.
>>
>> It would be interesting, but not vital, if you could try again, adding
>> "earlycon" to the kernel command line. Won't help anything, but would
>> potentially let me know what's going on.
> Both earlycon and earlyprintk in combination with console=ttyS0,115200
> did not display any additional information.
>

>> What might help would be trying a newer installer, like the current
>> "testing" image:
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/arm64/iso-cd/
>>
> After adding console=ttyS0,115200, the kernel booted successfully. But
> unfortunately the installer was not able to initialize the network
> hardware. Even after trying several times
>
> Uname + dmesg: http://pastebin.com/vMpyL86F
>
>> Or failing that, the mini.iso from
>> https://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/components/debian-installer/16.03/
>
> After adding console=ttyS0,115200, the kernel booted successfully and
> this time the installer was able to get IP address from DHCP and
> download some files from Debian FTP
>
> Uname + dmesg: http://pastebin.com/QNVxtPe6
>
> I ran out of spare hard drives. So will try full install tomorrow using Mini ISO
>
>> is basically a "testing" installer with some added not-yet-upstream
>> patches for GRUB/kernel. If the "testing" doesn't work, I would be
>> quite interested in seeing if this one helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Leif
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, Ronald

Hi Leif,

Just to let you know that Mini ISO installed successfully on the
MP30-AR0. During installation I used console=ttyS0,115200. After
reboot, Debian started just fine out of the box displaying the familar
shell logon on VGA. There was no more need for ttyS0 or other boot
arguments.

Kind regards,
Ronald Maas