Re: debian-edu-doc: reworking content of binary packages

Wolfgang Schweer schreef op di 11-08-2020 om 11:48 [+0200]:
> [ Holger Levsen, 2020-08-11 ]
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:45:24AM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > > After looking at the latest progress regarding translations done on
> > > Weblate (thanks to Frans keeping those in sync) and checking the
> > > translation status of all translations, these binary packages could
> > > be built (contained manuals in brackets):
> > >
> > > debian-edu-doc-da    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-de    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-en    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-es    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-fr    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-it    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-ja    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-nb    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-nl    (bullseye, buster)
> > > debian-edu-doc-pl    (bullseye, buster) ¹)
> > > debian-edu-doc-ro    (bullseye, buster) ¹)
> > > debian-edu-doc-sv    (bullseye, buster) ¹)
> > > debian-edu-doc-zh-cn (bullseye, buster) ¹) ²)
> > are these translations all meaningfully complete? as in at least 80 or
> > 90% of the strings translated?

In my opinion it is hard to tell when a translation is meaningfully
complete.

We have an informal internal point of reference, in that we agreed upon a
threshold of 15% of translated strings before a new translation at weblate
is allowed to enter the master branch.
An external point of reference could be the default po4a threshold of 80%
translated strings, although it is advised to lower this threshold a bit
when oen uses the untranslated feature of po4a, as we are planning to do in
the future.

In favour of a high translation level is the fact that when someone is in
need of a translation, a poor translation level would turn out to be very
disappointing to that person, because it would be opposite to his/hers
expectations.
Therefore I would be inclined to opt for a high translation level when it
comes to packages that are meant to be released, also given the high
standards that Debian sets for packages in a stable release.

On the other hand, I would be inclined to be much more sloppy when it comes
to more volatile media, such as debian-edu-doc at jenkins.debian.net,
because users there could easily understand that this is work in progress.
Therefore their expectations would be less high, I guess. Here we could for
instance stick to the threshold of 15%, i.e. all translations that have
entered the master branch.

> No. Even debian-edu-doc-zh (added about three years ago) is now at only
> 71% (bullseye) resp. 82% (buster); iirc about 50% of the strings had
> been translated at the time the zh binary package has been added.
>
> See also, back then:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2017/09/msg00009.html
>
> See the translation status overview on weblate:
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-edu-documentation/debian-edu-bullseye/
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-edu-documentation/debian-edu-buster/
>
> > > New packages containing legacy manuals:
> >
> > same question as above :)
>
> See:
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-edu-documentation/audacity/
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-edu-documentation/debian-edu-itil/
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-edu-documentation/rosegarden/
>
> These percentages seem to be string related, I figure. So they might be
> comparable to the information obtained running 'make status' (with the
> percentages to be calculated manually).

That's correct.

> That said, with a string translation limit of at least 80%, only these
> translations would be qualified for shipping:
>
> ----
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.da.po: 994 translated messages, 176 fuzzy
> translations, 40 untranslated messages.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.de.po: 1210 translated messages.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.fr.po: 1031 translated messages, 159 fuzzy
> translations, 20 untranslated messages.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.it.po: 1016 translated messages, 174 fuzzy
> translations, 20 untranslated messages.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.ja.po: 1016 translated messages, 174 fuzzy
> translations, 20 untranslated messages.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.nb.po: 1005 translated messages, 205 fuzzy
> translations.
> debian-edu-bullseye-manual.nl.po: 1210 translated messages.
>
> debian-edu-buster-manual.da.po: 1334 translated messages, 37 fuzzy
> translations, 21 untranslated messages.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.de.po: 1392 translated messages.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.fr.po: 1390 translated messages, 1 fuzzy
> translation, 1 untranslated message.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.it.po: 1390 translated messages, 1 fuzzy
> translation, 1 untranslated message.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.ja.po: 1330 translated messages, 61 fuzzy
> translations, 1 untranslated message.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.nb.po: 1296 translated messages, 95 fuzzy
> translations, 1 untranslated message.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.nl.po: 1392 translated messages.
> debian-edu-buster-manual.zh-cn.po: 1143 translated messages, 1 fuzzy
> translation, 248 untranslated messages.
>
> rosegarden-manual.fr.po: 684 translated messages.
> rosegarden-manual.nb.po: 684 translated messages.
> rosegarden-manual.nl.po: 684 translated messages.
>
> audacity-manual.fr.po: 124 translated messages, 8 fuzzy translations, 9
> untranslated messages.
> audacity-manual.nb.po: 141 translated messages.
> audacity-manual.nl.po: 141 translated messages.
> audacity-manual.pt-br.po: 141 translated messages.
>
> debian-edu-itil-manual.nb.po: 1535 translated messages.
> debian-edu-itil-manual.nl.po: 1535 translated messages.
> ----
>
> IMO this would de-motivate translators to some extent...

I can agree with this argument. That is one more reason why I would be in
favour of a much lower threshold for translations made available via
wiki.debian.org.

--
Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert