Re: next-generation LTSP landing in unstable

Hi guys,

I'm the one to blame for the new LTSP code when it fails. :)
I haven't used debian-edu so I'm not sure which parts will be missing from the new LTSP. Do file issues (https://github.com/ltsp/ltsp/issues) for whatever is needed though and I'll do my best.

Some comments:

On 11/14/19 2:08 AM, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
I figure a SquasFS image consisting of a minimal Debian system with just
nodm and x2goclient packages added (preconfigured to some extent) would
match this use case. I remember doing something comparable at times of
lessdisks.

Yes, this should work fine. nodm is unmaintained upstream currently, so lightdm-autologin-greeter (from the same author) might also be an option. Or even something like lightdm-remote-session-freerdp2.

Maybe separating main and LTSP server (which is more or less a
workstation) would be better, this is recommended anyway but adds
more work for local admins.

In the new ltsp, the "chrootless" case is still supported, ltsp image /.
It's been tested in 1000+ schools where sysadmins didn't have Linux expertise, and they were able to maintain it that way.

So maybe maintaining a chrootless LTSP server == template workstation, have it join LDAP, and just run `ltsp image /` periodically, could work.

The same (chrootless=fat) image could be used for thin sessions as well.

Best regards,
Alkis