Re: Why two chinese translations of debian edu documentation?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:29:19PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Holger Levsen]
> > then it should use some other git repo.
>
> This is another way to say we should not use Weblate and avoid any
> contributors from Weblate.

no

> Is this your wish?

no

>We can shut down the
> Weblate translation of Debian Edu, of course.  I believe it is doing
> ourself a disservice, as we have gained more new translators from
> Weblate the last few years, than those who show up to update git
> directly.

more translators doesnt neccesarily mean anything.

I agree, weblate is super useful for the bokmal translation work.

For Chinese (and some other languages) I'm not convinced.

> > which work?
> The work resulting in 3,9% of the entire set of documentation files
> translated to Chinese (Traditional) so far as can be seen on

half of them are not translations but numbers "translated" to numbers,
eg the english string '77' is "translated" to '77'.

> The web site further show 26.7% translated of the audacity manual, 10.9%
> of the Rosegarden manual, 4.5% of the ITIL manual, 0.5% of the Buster
> manual and 0.4% of the Stretch manual.  I have no idea if you find this
> work valuable, just wanted to make sure we talk about the same thing.

interestingly enough, 'make status' shows these strings now, however I
assume most of them are strings like 77.

also, again, without adding those translations to Copyright, we cannot
legally distribute them.

and, by adding them there, this causes work to all translators
*immediatly*, while its totally not clear whether they will be continued
or abonded shortly.

so, in other words: weblate is nice, but needs some staging area,
without immediatly causing work for (many) other people.

--
tschüß,
	Holger