Re: Partition resizing fails

Hello Wolfgang,

Am Sat, 28 Dec 2019 20:10:16 +0100
schrieb Wolfgang Schweer <w.schweer@gmx.de>:

> As far as I understand Roman's report, this 'lvextend -A n ...' would
> only be needed if the root filesystem is totally full. In this rare case
> during tests on a new system, as a required first step something
> like 'lvextend -A n -L+200M /dev/vg_system/root' would be needed to get
> out of this mess without moving files out of the way.
>
> All following lvextend commands would then do without the -A n option.

Yes, I share your understanding.

My proposal would be the following change (see [1]):

- return run("lvextend","-L${newsize}k", "$device");
+ return run("lvextend","-L${newsize}k", "$device") or run("lvextend", "-A", "n", "-L${newsize}k", "$device");

This should have the following effect:
  * For a full root partition:
    The first "lvextend" run fails; the second run succeeds.
  * For a non-full root partition:
    The "lvextend" process is run twice in case of a (unrelated) failure.

But maybe this specific issue does not justify the complication.

Cheers,
Lars

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/blob/master/sbin/debian-edu-fsautoresize#L151