Re: On coordinating translations of debian-edu-doc: some thoughts

Hi Holger,

Holger Levsen schreef op ma 21-10-2019 om 19:49 [+0000]:
> Hi Frans,
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:41:10PM +0200, Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
> > Sorry for this late reply, but maybe you remember that I told you
> > that
> > I would be away for a long time.
>
> yes I do & welcome back!

thank you

> > > cant we sync from weblate to git more often, like daily?
> >
> > I don't think it's a matter of frequency, but rather a matter of
> > sequence. As I see it, in a flawless workflow, all translation
> > updates
> > from weblate should be pulled in just before a debian-edu-doc
> > update
> > from the wiki happens.
>
> while updating (weblate) from git as often as git is updated?

Indeed.

I thought this was already the case, but I seem to be mistaken at that
point, because Weblate is using an outdated pot-file for the moment.

> > Maybe it would be doable over time to integrate
> > this procedure in the scripts that make the update from the wiki
> > happen. Or would such a workflow be impossible in reality according
> > you?
>
> see my question above first :)

I suppose the command line tool wlc could be helpful here.

> > I didn't had the time to fully reintroduce myself yet, but at
> > first
> > sight, there hasn't been that much activity with regard to weblate
> > during my absence. I just noticed that at Weblate two requests were
> > filed to add a new language to Debian Edu Documentation/Buster
> > Manual
> > (Portuguese (pt_PT) and Croatian (hr)). Do we still need a minimal
> > number of translated strings before new languages can be added to
> > the
> > git repo at Salsa?
>
> yes.
>
> Sadly I dont remember what I considered a minimum before, so this
> time
> we should add that number to documentation/common/README.common-
> translations :/
>
> Maybe 15%?
>
> (There's quite some cost in adding a new language, first it needs to
> be
> added to d/copyright and some Makefile snipplets, then eventually it
> will
> result in a new binary package being added, etc.)

I understand. Both Portugese and Croatian are by far not at 15% yet.

--
Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert