Re: How to add options of desktop environments for diskless workstations?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 01:49:09PM +0200, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
> What is the default content of The LTSP chroot? Is there documentation on
> this?

The chroot is built at installation time and has the same desktop
environment as the related server.

> Is the LTSP chroot built with Plasma only by default?

Yes. But see the manual: it recommends to use the kernel param
'desktop=lxde' instead of the default 'desktop=kde' if LTSP is intended
to be used.

> The NBD image file should be as small as possible to be easy on transfer
> times, network usage, server load, local RAM usage, etc., right?

I guess disk space and NBD build/update time is the main reason.

> Does it therefore make sense to study how desktop environment additions
> affect the size of the NBD image?

Out of my head: Xfce in addition to kde consumes not that much more,
LXDE adds more than Xfce.

While choice is good, each environment adds own programs for the same
purpose; this might confuse users.

Wolfgang