Mate or KDE as default desktop for stretch? (Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/Status/Stretch" by HolgerLevsen)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:26:17PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> Today I installed two workstations, one with desktop=kde, the other one
> with desktop=mate (virtualbox machines, 2 GiB RAM).
>
> Both workstations are usable;

you tested them with a main server, I assume?

> the KDE one has a better menu integration,
> but still lacks the Debian Edu version of the favorits as it used to be
> for the jessie release.
> On the other side, MATE doesn't have the favorits at all.
> KDE looks more 'modern' compared to MATE.

ack

> As far as memory consumption is concerned, MATE wins. But the difference
> is not that great.
> After having logged in and the desktop shows up, MATE uses 222 MiB vs.
> 383 MiB for KDE.

ok, not that much indeed.

> As far as the time is concerned, MATE wins again. The desktop shows up
> almost immediately, while KDE takes some seconds until it is usable.

ok, some seconds is not great, but not as bad as described in #606016
which was "indexing takes a minute using all CPU and creates 100mb
data".

so it seems we can close #606016 now? (and assume it was a bug present
in some development state…)

> So for the sake of continuity we might as well keep KDE as default.

/me nods. Mike will probably not like this, but we have many users and
it's easy to switch to Mate (or any other desktop) anyway.

> (The KDE menu can now be configured to show up in one of three flavors
> by right clicking the K symbol.)
>
> It might be good if someone could do performance tests on real hardware…

indeed!

--
cheers,
	Holger