Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/Status/Stretch" by HolgerLevsen

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 05:43:18PM -0000, Debian Wiki wrote:
> The "DebianEdu/Status/Stretch" page has been changed by HolgerLevsen:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Stretch?action=diff&rev1=94&rev2=95
>
> Comment:
> and how to decide on this?
> +  * is MATE really the best choice of default desktop?

Today I installed two workstations, one with desktop=kde, the other one
with desktop=mate (virtualbox machines, 2 GiB RAM).

Both workstations are usable; the KDE one has a better menu integration,
but still lacks the Debian Edu version of the favorits as it used to be
for the jessie release.
On the other side, MATE doesn't have the favorits at all.

KDE looks more 'modern' compared to MATE.

As far as memory consumption is concerned, MATE wins. But the difference
is not that great.
After having logged in and the desktop shows up, MATE uses 222 MiB vs.
383 MiB for KDE.

As far as the time is concerned, MATE wins again. The desktop shows up
almost immediately, while KDE takes some seconds until it is usable.

So for the sake of continuity we might as well keep KDE as default.
(The KDE menu can now be configured to show up in one of three flavors
by right clicking the K symbol.)

It might be good if someone could do performance tests on real hardware…

Wolfgang