Re: Mate or KDE as default desktop for stretch? (Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/Status/Stretch" by HolgerLevsen)

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 04:43:38PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:26:17PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > Today I installed two workstations, one with desktop=kde, the other one
> > with desktop=mate (virtualbox machines, 2 GiB RAM).
> >
> > Both workstations are usable;
>
> you tested them with a main server, I assume?

Yes.

> > As far as the time is concerned, MATE wins again. The desktop shows up
> > almost immediately, while KDE takes some seconds until it is usable.
>
> ok, some seconds is not great, but not as bad as described in #606016
> which was "indexing takes a minute using all CPU and creates 100mb
> data".
>
> so it seems we can close #606016 now? (and assume it was a bug present
> in some development state…)

No, we can't. I checked it again after cleaning up the related homedir:
It's even 170 MiB of data created at first login (most consuming are
icon cache and theme cache both with about 82 MiB each). And the load
value was about 1,5; later logins are faster cause there isn't much more
stored in addition.
(BTW: MATE config/cache is about 2 MiB after first login.)

The seconds may extend to a minute or more on real hardware with
hard disks, I guess.

Wolfgang