Re: FYI: 8.5 and 7.11 planning

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:49:27PM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:39:44AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:20:02PM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > > Maybe hints how to solve the nscd cache problem (IMO the only real show
> > > stopper) and how to get rid of the (harmless but annoying) gosa popup
> > > could be integrated into the documentation/first steps, the cups issue
> > > as well.
> > are those hints written down somewhere already?
> Yes, on the jessie status page. Elaboration and polishing needed, I
> guess.

quoting and replying to those 3 issues from the "we must fix list":

> 1. Mounting of homedirs fails randomly. This is probably due to buggy nscd
> netgroup caching (791562). As a workaround disable netgroup caching (on
> tjener) in /etc/nscd.conf and remove /var/cache/nscd/netgroup. Update:
> this problem seems to be gone after the 8.4 point release (with fixes to
> packages nscd, nslcd and nss-pam-ldapd), see discussion in 785053.

so it seems #791562 should be closed with a pointer to #785053? cool!

> 2. On workstations the automatic setup of remote printers (configured
> on tjener) fails (see discussion in 791995). To get it working,
> install the package libnss-mdns on tjener and on the workstation(s).
> If LTSP is used, install the package in the LTSP chroot as well.

debian-edu 1.812 is the latest version in sid and jessie, while git has
an unreleased 1.900 version. I suppose it's best to cherry-pick e040352
(from 1.900) into a new branch based on 1.812 and have just done so in
git.

I'm also pondering uploading 1.900 to unstable…

> 3. Automatic filesystem resizing fails cause /proc/mounts contains
> /dev/dm-X devices for / (and /usr if on a separate partion). See
> 800651 for a patch.

debian-edu-config 1.818 is the version jessie, while sid and stretch
have 1.900 and git has an unreleased 1.901 version. I suppose it's best
to cherry-pick b9d0b1f (from 1.819) into a new branch based on 1.818
and have just done so in git. (note/btw: contrary to the version number,
1.819 has changes unsuitable for jessie…)

I'm also pondering uploading 1.901 to unstable…

And then we also need to update the Jessie documentation in the wiki and
in the debian-edu-doc package and the version strings in
debian-edu-install…

--
cheers,
	Holger