Re: skolelinux.org

> The problem with missing maintenance of www.skolelinux.org is not new.
> It has popped up every few years in the project since the start.  I
> suspect it is mostly because those setting up a new www.skolelinux.org
> site do it to test out some new and cool technology, and fail to focus
> on low maintenance load and lowering the of bar for contributors.  Also,
> fine grained access control features have proved to create hurdles
> keeping potential contributors away.

We could try addressing exactly those issues in the next setup :)

> That is the background for my view on this, as we have had site after
> site with very few people updating and slowly decaying until someone
> else took over and tried again.
>
> I guess we have these options.
>
>  (1) Set up a version of the current www.skolelinux.org (ie Joomla!) and
>      copy the content from backup and try to do a better job maintaining
>      it in the future than the last years.  This make it fairly easy to
>      get a multi-lingual site up and running.
>
>  (2) Set up a new version of www.skolelinux.org using some one and
>      exciting technology, and see if things go better this time.
>      Assuming a good choice of CMS, this should make it fairly easy to
>      get a multi-lingual site up and running.

I lean more towards option (1) and (2).  It looks like a direction to take where
we can also lower the bar of contributing and increase collaboration /
coordination
among the various language groups in Debian-Edu. I am not aware of any good
multi-lingual CMS, but I think we should spend some time to see if we can use
something existing. Maybe we can look at some things in the upcoming BSP[0].

[0]: https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2015/03/21/no/Oslo

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Alexander Alemayhu