Re: Is sshfs usable and sensible as home directory file system?

[Wolfgang Schweer]
> I'll have another look at LTSP clients soon. A few weeks ago it was
> as stated above, iirc. It was default Debian Edu setup.

I believe I know what happened.  The minute I got autofs working
properly on the diskless workstations (and elsewhere), the code
triggering the sshfs mounting stepped aside and left it to autofs to
handle the home directory mount.

We can disable autofs on diskless workstations and use sshfs instead.
The question is, do we want to?  To test for yourself, install a thin
client server and add 'exit 0' at the end of
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/default/autofs and boot a diskless workstation.
This will block autofs from starting, and when the user log in, sshfs
is used instead.

If we go with NFSv4/autofs, I believe we should add a script in
/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/ to detect if the home directory is missing and
show a popup suggesting to add the host in the workstation-hosts
group, to reduce the amount of problems caused by missing NIS netgroup
membership.  A similar/the same script can be placed in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/ for use on workstations and thin client servers.

--
Happy hacking