on releasing Debian Edu Squeeze in 6.0.1, 2 or 3? or 4? or 2012?

Hi,

during the Debian Edu meeting in Zweibrücken in Rheinland-Pfalz we obviously
also talked about the upcoming Debian Edu Squeeze release. The consenus was,
that it should happen rather soon. No new features should be added anymore,
instead we should try to release in March or April (2011).

If we keep the changes to the debian-edu, debian-edu-config and
debian-edu-install sources packages, I believe the Debian stable release
managers would accept those into squeeze and we can release as part of a
Debian pointrelease. Those point releases will be versioned as 6.0.1, 6.0.2,
6.0.3, etc., just like in Lenny. 6.0.1 is scheduled to be released in a
month.

I think it would be overly optimistic to assume we will manage to release with
6.0.1, but 6.0.2 or 6.0.3 should entirely be possible, if we restrict our
changes (compared to whats in squeeze-test now) to the minimum.

The input from the developers and users at the Zweibrücken meeting IME was
that this was very desirable.

Wheezy (the successor of Debian Squeeze) is scheduled to be released in less
than 24 months, and for the last three releases Debian managed to release a
little quicker (!) than once every two years, so I'm quite confident this
will happen.

And in 2012 I would rather see us develop for Wheezy than still struggling
with releasing our Squeeze! To say it more positivly: at the moment, we (and
Debian too) gained momentum and I would love to keep that!

As you probably noticed I went through a lot of bugs
http://bugs.skolelinux.org and categorized them like for the last two
releases:

prio 1 = urgent problem, needs to be fixed now
prio 2 = must be fixed for the release
prio 3 = normal severity
prio 4 = minor issue
prio 5 = enhancement / wishlist

From what I know from that and from
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Squeeze there are 4 big problems
still to solve:

#602863  [debian-edu-config] manage dhcp+dns with gosa
#602859  [debian-edu-config] (gosa) netgroup support
#606016  [debian-edu] indexing takes a minute using all CPU and creates 100mb
data
and: updating the documentation for squeeze.

If you know about more issues (with whatever severity), PLEASE do file bugs.
It might be that we'll only be able to fix them for Wheezy, but the earlier
those are reported the better. I'd also prefer if bugs would be filed in the
Debian BTS, as it's better integrated into several workflows and tracking
systems.

So, let's squeeeeeze now!

cheers,
	Holger