Re: Questions about Debian-Edu, GOsa2, DNS and DHCP

2010/12/20 Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
Hi Alejandro,

On Sonntag, 19. Dezember 2010, Alejandro wrote:
> I'm a developer of GOsa2 and i'm doing the plugin for PowerDNS and have
> some questions

yay! Thanks for joining us here!

> I tell about BUG 602863
> 1.- Why need Debian-Edu PowerDNS and not BIND-DLZ-ldap?

we want immediate updates to dns from ldap. also we just switched to powerdns
in lenny and we are not too keen to switch back to bind now.

The most complete solution is Bind-DLZ-ldap, but is slow, and no debian package...
Support updates from DHCP and Samba4 (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=26749018)

(personally I woudlnt mind switching back to bind...)

> 2.- PowerDNS don't support DNSSEC, TSIG and updates from DHCP. �The
> debian-edu project need DHCP updates?

I'm not sure what you mean with dchp updates here. Can you explain please?

Dynamic Updates from ISC-DHCP.
When ISC-DHCP give you a lease, ISC-DHCP can send a nsupdate to the BIND server to add your ip and name to the direct and inverse zone.
You surely know it, but my english is so poor ;-)

We dont use dnssec atm.
>NS_and_ISC_DHCP_in_LDAP.htmland need to know the schema used by debian-edu
> and any other ldap related issues to implement the plugin.

Is really neccesary the auxiliary schema? Is neccesary to join DHCP Objects with DNS Objects?

cool, thanks.

So much for now,
cheers,
� � � �Holger