Re: On mtPaint and rgbPaint

Hi Mats,

On Mittwoch, 3. November 2010, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> may I pose a question regarding the software rgbPaint. It is a
> simplified version of mtPaint, which in turn is present in Debian
> repositories since 2007, but rgbPaint is only available from Ubuntu.
>
> Could there be an interest in incorporating rgbPaint into DebianEdu?
>     http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/rgbpaint.html

I guess so, its looks like a neat and simple paint program :)

> It was originally aimed at OLPC.
>
> Very recently I set up a system with Debian LXDE for my two
> young nephews, and I found rgbPaint to be an excellent beginning
> instead of heading straight into mtPaint. After producing a
> complementary mo-file for Swedish, which is lacking in the original
> software, I tried it with a tablet and it works charmingly well.
>
> I am somewhat inclined to adapt the Ubuntu packaging for Debian,
> being a DM myself, but wanted to make sure I would not be interfering
> in any way with DebianEdu, which I consider to be the natural place
> for software like mtPaint and rgbPaint. There is neither ITA, nor RFP
> for rgbPaint, as far as I could establish the situation.

Sounds like a great plan and as Philipp said, Debian Edu "just takes" the
software in Debian, so having rgbpaint there, is a requierement to have it in
Debian Edu.

If you plan to maintain rgbpaint, I'd be happy to do the initial work to get
it uploaded into the archive, and then set the DMUA flags, so you can upload
it on your own.

Please start with filing an ITP bug.

Which VCS do you plan to keep the sources in?

cheers,
	Holger