Re: On mtPaint and rgbPaint

Hi,

On 03/11/10 15:51, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> may I pose a question regarding the software rgbPaint. It is a
> simplified version of mtPaint, which in turn is present in Debian
> repositories since 2007, but rgbPaint is only available from Ubuntu.
>
> Could there be an interest in incorporating rgbPaint into DebianEdu?
>
>     http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/rgbpaint.html
>
> It was originally aimed at OLPC.

There sure could be.

> Very recently I set up a system with Debian LXDE for my two
> young nephews, and I found rgbPaint to be an excellent beginning
> instead of heading straight into mtPaint. After producing a
> complementary mo-file for Swedish, which is lacking in the original
> software, I tried it with a tablet and it works charmingly well.
>
> I am somewhat inclined to adapt the Ubuntu packaging for Debian,
> being a DM myself, but wanted to make sure I would not be interfering
> in any way with DebianEdu, which I consider to be the natural place
> for software like mtPaint and rgbPaint. There is neither ITA, nor RFP
> for rgbPaint, as far as I could establish the situation.

I don't see how it could possibly interfere with Debian Edu work. Debian
Edu aims to be 100% Debian with a preselected set of preconfigured packages.
We're very close to that goal and don't have any supplementery software
outside the Debian archive.

So, go ahead and get rgbPaint into Debian :). It won't go into squeeze
anyway, but once it has hit testing you could propose here to include it
with the next Debian Edu release.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F