Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Hi,

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Sérgio Saraiva]
>> Is it possible to show a table with positive and negative aspects of
>> administration tools?
>
> | lwat  | broken in edu/squeeze  | used to do what we wanted     |
> |       | missing people         |                               |
> | cipux | missing in edu/squeeze | unknown if it fits us         |
> |       | missing people         |                               |
> | gosa  | missing some features  | partly working in edu/squeeze |
> |       |                        | got people                    |

Yes Skolelinux lacks of enthusiasts integrating CipUX to
edu/squeeze. As I said before on the list. I am willing to help.

CipUX do fit Debian Edu. Unfortunately this can not be seen by the
international Debian Edu community because missing in edu/squeeze.

Is it possible to add CipUX to edu/squeeze without disturbing the
work on Gosa?

> If someone got time and interest in making a better comparison, feel
> free to add it to the wiki.  But given that only one of the
> alternatives (Gosa) have people interested in working on it and
> getting it to work properly in edu/squeeze, I do not really see the
> point.

> We have waited for lwat and cipux people for a long time, so it seem
> unlikely that anyone will show up.  And even if they did, it would be
> hard to believe they were here for the long run, given the complete
> lack of progress and interest for a long time.

Indeed I do agree on the point that we wait a long time for LWAT and
CipUX. I am a little bit surprised by the above statement. If you
speak about 'cipux people' keep in mind that you can sometimes not
distinguish this clearly since we all work on several
projects.

There are several "CipUX people":

 a) CipUX developers (me, others + testers of upstream code incl. RLP!)
 b) CipUX users (RLP project + old-time users)
 c) CipUX distributors (Jonas and Xavier + testers of packaging)
 d) CipUX Debian Edu re-distributors (none)

So we are lacking d) people. The other parts of the CipUX community
is flourishing.

The current code status of 3.4.x.x is stable. No bugs reported in
the last month's. So the upstream base is good. Currently CipUX is
used by schools in Germany and translated into several languages. It
has at least 2 GUIs.

The current installations are based partly on Debian Packages and
upstream releases. It is intended to switch to pure packaged version
in February. The Debian packages are not as much tested as I would
like to see it. A pure package installation for Debian Edu is not
possible at the moment. Only _one_ Perl modul needs to be packaged.
Nevertheless it is a minor problem. With or without packaging this
will vanish in 3.6.0.x. Then we will have a CipUX on CPAN. One
reason why I attended the Perl Conference last week here in Tokyo.

CipUX is working on Debian Edu Etch and Lenny. Some features in
Lenny are missing: DNS,... No work as so far be done to squeeze. My
guess is that it should be easy to use CipUX for the base functionality.

A plea: please change the LDAP tree /default objects and attributes
as less as possible compare to the last released stable Debian Edu
version. Changing the tree cause a huge effort for migrating
installations. (With or without CipUX)

Cheers
Christian