Re: java applications on thinclients don't work smoothly

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:57:53PM +0200, Philipp Huebner wrote:

Running java apps like http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Circuit_Construction_Kit_DC_Only

on thinclients is a pain. It's so not performing at all, dragging objections or having animations running is worse than slow motion.

It didn't matter which xserver I used - vesa, via, nv - they behaved all the same.

Now the joke comes: using the thinclient as a diskless workstation makes the java app run perfectly smooth, but because it's a real thinclient and hence low on performance, the boot process took very long, apps took very long to show up, and playing youtube didn't nearly work fluently.

Most likely this is related to use (or not) of shared memory (MIT-SHM). As an example, Direct Rendering Interface (DRI) requires shared memory as I understand it.

Diskless clients by design do not share memory. I suspect that you might get comparable speeds on "lowfat" clients even with locally executed applications, if you can tell them to disable use of MIT-SHM.

For GTK applications like the Gimp you will pass the option --no-shm. There are probably similar options for Qt-based applications.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

P.S.

It helps responding accurately if you more clearly emphasize what are the questions you raise, without wrapping them that much in complaints or frustrations of your experiences.