Re: Widen LTSP uplink / Re: ltsp hardware again

El jue, 13-08-2009 a las 23:53 +0200, RalfGesellensetter escribió:
> Am Donnerstag 13 August 2009 schrieb José "L. Redrejo" Rodríguez:
> > 34 Mbps x No of LTSP clients
>
> oops, this means, max. 3 clients with conventional 100 Mbit NICs? We
> have been running 14 all the time, and only with gimp animation we had
> run into bottlenecks. This makes 7 Mbps/client ;)

I'm sure you can boot 14 clients with a 100 Mbps card in the server, but
it will take a long time to boot. My tests were done in the worst case
to make stress tests in the classrooms:

- For the booting needs, all the computers were booted at exactly the
same time (using wakeonlan)
- For the Impress tests, all the computers were running a very heavy
presentation with a lot of animations and big graphics. In fact, we use
a presentation that a teacher used to his classrooms, as he usually
complained that OO didn't work right. It was a ppt file with more than
100 Mbytes of graphics.

With the numbers I gave, we can boot 15 clients at the same time in 20
seconds and all kind of graphic application run smoothly, even if all
the clients are using them.

> recently, I streamed raw MPEG-HDTV via LAN, which gave me 10 Mbps. I
> doubt you could need ever more than 15 per client.

streaming is very different. Using broadcast you need the same bandwith
with 1 or with 100 clients.

> But mulitplying the bandwith by 10 should be a good idea. Now I regret,
> having given away my only GB switch for proprietary purposes.

If you want your clients feel they are using real computers and avoid
them complaining when they run all kind of applications (and education
is a very exigent environment, very different of an office, with many
different applications, videos, etc. used by teachers and students)
you'll need to avoid a bottleneck in the server card.

We're using good switches with 2 gigabyte ports and 24 100 Mbps ports
for the clients, and our teachers and students have had the feeling of
upgrading to a better computer when the old workstations have passed to
be thin clients. Without the 1 (real pci express x4) Gbyte card in the
server, the feeling would have been quite different.

Regards.
José L.