Re: Widen LTSP uplink / Re: ltsp hardware again

El jue, 13-08-2009 a las 23:03 +0200, Knut Yrvin escribió:
> Onsdag 12. august 2009, skrev RalfGesellensetter:
> > I ascribe this to
> > - new TFT screens with higher resolution (more X data to serve)
> > - increasing use of Flash videos
> > - increasing use of animations all over the web
> > - possibly also more use of Java related stuff (is this rendered
> >   by native X11 sequences or rather as direct graphic drawing?)
>
> Such requirements calls for Diskless Workstation[1] (aka Low Fat
> clients).

With current LTSP version, using localapps for flash and vlc works like
a charm. Obviously, using localapps you need a thin client able to
reproduce video and flash. But that's something that a seven years old
PC can do perfectly.

For java, I don't see the need to use localapps, it works right using
the server.

On the other hand, this is also a very attractive option:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/Network_Image_Server

in the same line that Diskless Workstations work.

I wonder if someone in this list has tested it...

Regards.
José L.