Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Monday 03 August 2009 22:49:12 RalfGesellensetter wrote:

> To be more precise, I am looking for the best way to upgrade 3 years old
> workstations (running sarge-alpha-pre) in a way that can be kept for at
> least another 2 years.
When you manage that upgrade would you please write how you did it?
Of special interest would be whether an 'aptitude full-upgrade'  was
successful (I doubt it) or if clean installing a workstation from our Lenny
CD/DVD worked and what extra actions were required.

> Let's try to release Lenny for Workstation + LTSP (etch on Tjener will
> be sufficient for quite a while).
Interesting thought that reveals to me I tend to think of Debian Edu as
main-server+, as this is what I'm usually busy with. Certainly most of the
issues for the release are service related.
But technically speaking -as I understand it- we release a versioned set of
packages and these packages are not distinguishable by machine purpose
(profile).
Saying that, it may work well for installing some profiles while not for
others. It would be of great value to verify that a Lenny Debian Edu
workstation can be reliably installed and integrated into an older Debian Edu
network.

> I've been feeling quite for a while now, that it could be a good idea to
> separate Services (esp. Tjener) from Desktop (esp. Workstations).
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that but this is not the time to do
major restructuring on Lenny. It'll be great if you'd try to explain that
idea on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Devel/Squeeze, maybe start the
discusion page.

Thanks for your two cents and for your time.
Odd.