Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

During DebConf9 on the 'Keynote from the release team' event [0], the release
team has made public their intentions to switch to a 'time based freezes' and
to freeze Squeeze within 4 (four) month,
Those of us who didn't attend DebConf9 may have seen the following
announcements made at debian-devel-announce [1] and at debian-announce [2]
ML.

> time-based freezes
> ==================
>
> For the squeeze release (and future releases), we are considering a
> time-based freeze, meaning that the freeze will happen at a predictable
> and predetermined time with the release happening at a later time once
> the release requirements are met.  We think that having a time-based
> freeze would enhance the responsibility among developers to plan ahead
> and make sure that the version they want to get in the next release is
> one that is stable and can be well supported. time-based freezes would
> make a release schedule more predictable...

I believe Debian Edu may benefit from such improved predictability in the
long run, though predictability is not yet here:

> Timeline
> ========
>
> Based on feedback of the community on the plan to freeze in December
> 2009 and  the ambituous Release Goals we set for ourselves, we are
> revisiting the decision to freeze December 2009.
>
> We'll be consulting all key teams within Debian to see how their plans
> and schedules can fit into a new timeline. Before the end of August we
> hope to have finished this process of consultation and be able to
> present the new plan to you.

So assuming predictability will come by the end of the month, it is not too
early to think of our release plans ;-)
I dare predict, based on recent advancement, that we will not release our
Lenny by that time.

I hope to initiate a discusion of optional ways to deal with a shrunk 'stable'
phase of Lenny both here on ML and on Wiki at:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Devel/Squeeze
Starting with:
- Could we skip Lenny? Why?
- Can we not skip Lenny? How?