Re: have thin clients had their day?

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM, RalfGesellensetter <rgx@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear Scott,
>
> thanks for your comments on this topic.
> You are right: Flash applications are getting increasingly meaningfull,
> only recently a school book editor offered a "free" online evaluation of
> pupil's skills based on flash. To meet their requirements I upgraded
> LTSP, enabled sound and stuff (just to allow that flash app reading big
> numbers allowed, so pupils could show if the can type the right
> figures)...

Aloha Ralf.  I fault myself for this.  My biggest failure, or, one of
them, the last 4 years, was seeing this, declaring on lists like the
K12OSN that there was job growth opportunity in putting metrics and
adaptive algorithms behind the already existing Edutainment
applications, but doing nothing more than talking.

My emotions were mixed when a young lady returned home to Hawaii,
after working at Intel and Transmeta, and wanted to meet with me to
show off a great math application that she had written - in Flash.
She was everything an island state wants - returning intellectual
capital, but she had no concern or concept of deploying and supporting
Flash in struggling schools.

> Am Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2009 schrieb R. Scott Belford:
>>  I tweak a
>> Debian-Edu desktop and then layer the DRBL scripts on top of it.  I
>> still manage a few thin client setups in our City and County Parks,
>> but here the scale is limited to a few workstations.
>>

> Interesting, you refer to Diskless Remote Boot in Linux here, I guess
> (http://drbl.sourceforge.net/). As I'm (kind of) taking care for our
> world map: I would love getting some red spots within the U.S. here:
>        http://www.skolelinux.no/testskoler/map/openlayers.html
>
> Just do us the favor, please, and sign up right here:
>    http://skolelinux.no/slschools/editschool.php?lang=en
>
> (will yeh?)

I will.  It is our Parks that run Debian-edu layered with the DRBL
project you reference.  Most schools are using some form of Ubuntu.
However, in a few Saturdays I am hosting many school Tech Coordinators
in my garage to learn how to build a Debian-Edu DRBL box that, in
addition to the fat client benefit, provides Clonezilla unicast and
multicast imaging services.  Pre-installed with a 10gb debian-edu
desktop hda image, and a 16gb debian-edu 16gb sda image, the box can
do bare metal installs to new or donated equipment.  I call it the
school fundraiser machine.   I will enter each attendee in the
database since they will be new schools.

> Thanks a lot,
> regards,
> Ralf.

The Thanks, Ralf, goes to all of you who have dedicated so much time
to Debian and to Debian-edu thus providing people like me with some
amazing tools.  Thank YOU.

Aloha

--scott