Re: have thin clients had their day?

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:46:01PM +0900, Nigel Barker wrote:
> There was a thread on edubuntu a while ago suggesting that today's
> demands (flash everywhere, streaming this and that) are too much for
> thin clients and that we once again have to join the "hardware arms
> race".

...snip...

> I hope that diskless workstations will become an easy option. I know
> you are currently working on it, and thank you for that!

yes, diskless workstations are one direction to take. debian-edu is working on
some options for that, and newer versions of LTSP include a configuration
option called LTSP_FATCLIENT which is similar.

additionally, newer versions of LTSP include support for LOCAL_APPS, running
specific applications locally, while most applications run on the server.

and lastly, work is being done on LTSP to support running specific applications
on the server, but most of them on the thin client.

so options are on their way or are even already developed, though they all
require more powerful clients. as more people use computers in a wider number
of areas, the demands on the hardware simply increase.

> I also hope for a speedier ltsp that allows us to keep up with the
> modern web. What will happen when we move to KDE 4? Could it be
> possible to have a choice of a lighter wm?

i was extremely impressed by LXDE's performance for an LTSP server. i would
like to work on making that an option for future releases.

live well,
  vagrant