Re: debian-edu build process, once more

Hi Vagrant,

On Freitag, 23. Oktober 2009, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> i set it up as hard depends to remove a list of hard-coded packages to
> install from the debian-edu specific ltsp-build-client plugins, which would
> fail if the appropriate packages weren't available. so having them as
> depends in the education-thin-client package ensures that those packages
> end up on the CD, simplifies the ltsp-build-client plugins greatly, and
> allows for more proper tracking of the dependencies we actually rely on.

Isn't that the same with recommends? I dont see what a depends gains us here.

> if the packages actually work without a given hard depedency, we could add
> an architecture-specific dependency or move it to a recommends, if
> appropriate. it has to properly handle if the packages aren't actually
> installed before moving it to recommends or removing the dependency on
> certain architectures.

recommends are installed by default (and we dont change that default), so I
still fail to understand why recommends are not enough.

and recommends have the advantage that its no problem if they dont exist for a
certain architecture.

can you explain, please?

regards,
	Holger