Re: question -- 8th grade teacher needing skolelinux 5.0 ASAP

I'm forwarding this email that I had replied to Knut, and forgot to CC to the list.  Perhaps anyone knows why my installation fails with ' select and install software) though I think I might try the diskless workstation to see if that is a good workaround between a thin client and a full worksstation.

I will try the netintall of the lenny prerelease.  I probably won't be using thin clients since my students will be watching videos and doing video editing/producing, and when I had just 3 or 4 computers trying to watch a flash video on my edubuntu LTSP server the thabout:in clients were crashing.  My computers are all different hardware configurations, which makes things tricky as far as using clonezilla (unless Linux can automatically adjust drivers from one computer to another with different hardware).  This would be nice, then I could at least get the installation to go through, but I'm guessing different hardware configurations don't allow for cloning harddrives.

I've learned quite a bit over the last few weeks (I think it's just my different hardware configurations where the installation works perfectly on one machine but freezes at the "Select and install software...please wait" screen that's not working).

Regarding the netinstall, do I just download it via FTP, but then do I have to update the image with rsync? (This has been answered by Knut in an earlier email....thank you)

How exactly do I use the rsync command, or is it even necessary?  If I just type in

rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-lenny-prerelease/debian-edu-lenny-
netinstall-alpha0.iso

at the terminal, does the command automatically know where the .iso image is to update?

Thanks so much!  I'm hoping the prerelease lenny might work okay.  So I'm assuming it's better to go with the net install instead of the full DVD install too?

Tim

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Knut Yrvin <knuty@skolelinux.no> wrote:
Mandag 19. oktober 2009, skrev tlang80@gmail.com:
> Regarding Skolelinux 5.0, when
> I go to www.skolelinux.org, it still shows 3.0 -- do you think the
>  5.0 is stable enough to use, or are there bugs where I'd really
>  would have to know what I'm doing to get around them?

You'll probably not counter into any severe problem using the Skolelinux
5.0 network install CD.

> Over the last few weeks, I've played with skolelinux and
>  edubuntu.  One thing I've noticed (that I have found is not
>  explained very well in the wiki) is the requirement to set up a host
>  in the LWAT.  Without a host set up (and without updating the DHCP
>  file) users cannot log-on to a workstation client.  Instead, they
>  get the message:  "Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your
>  installation."

The reason is simple. If we had let client machines be added to the
network without adding MAC address to LWAT (and hence the authorisation
system proved by Linux kernel), any person with a laptop could connect
to the network as root user, gaining access to any file on the server.
Which is a major security breach.

By adding every machine to the authorisation system, only approved
hardware gains access to the system. Preventing access for machines
which portray as a server gaining root access without permission.

> If this is something that always happens (which is has for me and my
> hardware -- maybe others are different) I would definitely love to
>  update the wiki on that.  I had the assumption that you just add an
>  user via LWAT and presto, you're set, but apparantly, you have to
>  users *and hosts*, so a workstation is configured as static00 for
>  example with it's mac address defined in the host section of the
>  LWAT.

Security measures are not always intuitive. But this one is pretty
obvious, not allowing unauthorised machines to gain system wide access
to the school or municipality wide network. When restricting access to
machines to only approved once, we can be certain to distribute home
directories and such to persons who got a username and password to the
system.

> Anyways, I have two computers where one ends up saying it can't
>  install the dictionary during the installation, and another where
>  the screen keeps blinking and the installation doesn't go any
>  further.  My other computers the installation went flawlessly.  I'm
>  going to try and reinstall using a more modern external DVD drive,
>  as I think maybe the DVD drive (built in 2002) is the problem.

I got no chance of guessing what might be the problem, the DVD, the
drive or something else.  You might know, some older DVD players might
got a weak laser or a less sophisticated error handling system when
reading newer disk images burned on a DVD ...

> Thanks again, I'll be checking the links you sent me.  I've already
>  looked at some of the wiki documentation over the last few weeks
>  (and that's the one where I feel that the requirement to setup
>  clients as static hosts is not very clearly explained, unless I'm
>  missing something).

Not all details of the computer network are explained, cause many
teachers got to much on their hands to get to deep into details. But now
you know, and might add your new earned knowledge to the documentation.

Secondly, it's possible to attach other machines to the net, but such
machines don't get access to file storage and other services. Only an
Internet connection through the network is provided (given that the
server got Internet :)

A minor, but important detail. I'll would appreciate if you wrote to the
debian-edu list when you got more questions. Then more people can help
and learn from your questions :)

Best regards

Knut Yrvin