Re: question -- 8th grade teacher needing skolelinux 5.0 ASAP

Søndag 18. oktober 2009, skrev tlang80@gmail.com:
> How do you get flash installed on iceweasel then?

First Skolelinux 5.0 got gnash installed which shows videos from Youtube
and other sites. If using Skolelinux 3.0, please consider this document:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Desktop

If using Skolelinux 5.0 and the flashplayer gnash don't meet your
expectation, please consider this document:

http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

Be aware of the warnings provided when using the proprietary FlashPlayer
on Lenny, which Skolelinux 5.0 is built on. If it works, please consider
updating this document:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Desktop

This is a nice way of contributing to our project. If you're unfamiliar
with wiki's, please send a report to this e-mail list which your already
familiar with :)

> When I go to the
> Adobe site it doesn't show support for iceweasel, and it gives
> multiple packages that I can download.  I'm not a Linux expert, and
> don't quite know how to install packages manually, though I'm quite
> proficient with windows, but getting a small mini-computer lab setup
> for my students inside my classroom.

Two things.

First Skolelinux project does a considerable effort providing support for
most educational relevant applications and plugins for Java, Flash and
other media. You get more than 90 relevant applications and services,
with a network architecture out of the box.

Second most things are documented at a beginners level, without the
technical language you often meet when talking with Microsoft Certified
Professionals or RedHat experts. Your prior skills with Windows should
be more than sufficient. Whole municipality installations of Skolelinux at
10-11 schools are run by people who had Windows only experience, before
starting with Skolelinux. If they can, you can :)

For Skolelinux 5.0, please consider:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny

For Skolelinux 3.0, please consider:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch

Please consider this document for minimum hardware requirement :)
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Requirements

I hope this links provides you with the expected get started guides.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin