Fwd: question -- 8th grade teacher needing skolelinux 5.0 ASAP

sorry Knut I sent this to you instead of the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nigel Barker <tech@hiroshima-is.ac.jp>
Date: 2009/10/19
Subject: Re: question -- 8th grade teacher needing skolelinux 5.0 ASAP
To: Knut Yrvin <knuty@skolelinux.no>

2009/10/19 Knut Yrvin <knuty@skolelinux.no>

<big snip>

Tim, let me ask you about your thin clients. What spec are they? Because if you only have 6 or 7 and you really need to have flash and sound working properly, then you might consider doing a workstation install on them instead. If they are all the same type of machine, then you can just do one and use clonezilla. They will integrate perfectly into your network, without the struggle of edubuntu. Edubunt doesn't have any software which isn't also available in skolelinux. However, if they are v. old and weak, forget it, you have to go with thin clients.

Skolelinux Lenny is ready enough if the installer is OK right now. I would definitely use it on a new installation. Etch is getting old now.
I echo what Knut says - you can do it yourself. I did and I'm just the chemistry teacher. The people here helped me a lot when I got stuck (they still do). Just go with the defaults and don't try to bend it to your own will yet. So accept Iceweasel for now, etc.

Good luck!

nigel