how to setup a workstation

Hi everyone
In my on going struggle to get my lab running like I want with lenny-test. I am trying out get my lab of 25 amd 64 x2 workstation to run properly. Etch work fine in diskless mode but when I lost motherboard the only way I could make the newer replacement board work was by using backports.

Current status the diskless mode "ltsp-make-client" script finish. The resulting clients freeze on boot that is they ignore the keyboard/mouse and the screen is blank. If I press f1 early enough in the boot I can see some of the boot messages. The last message is NFS-common start but it never returns.

So I decide to put in a couple hard drives in some units to see if I can do a work station install. These boot up okay but I can only login in as root. I think I have to set up the ldap authentication. Is there any document that will provide me the necessary information. Include the skolelinux specific ldap information. Usually I would need base which I think is
dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no

and the admin user
cn=admin,ou=People,?

Also do I have to transfer the ssl key.