Re: Change password in Samba and ldap

Onsdag 6. mai 2009 20:48, skrev Philipp Huebner:
> The point is, if users change their password on workstations /
> thinclients using passwd, it only chages the unix password, not the
> samba password.
> So if a student changes his password using 'passwd' on a terminal, he
> still needs his old password for a Windows Machine joined in the
> skolelinux domain.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Philipp Hübner

> Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz

Which is exactly why the student should use the shorcut on their
Desktop, which should point to something like
https://ldap/lwat/chguserpw.php?username=$(id -un), on windows they
have to manually put in their username.

Using lwat to change their password, ensures that linux(userPassword)
and samba(sabmaNTPassword and smbaLMPassword) passwords are the same.

passwd only changes linux(userPassword), I have never looked into why
that is, and fixing it would still mean that the users would have to
use a different way to change passwords from within windows, better to
use lwat, that works from everywhere.
--
Klaus Ade
Mobil:93869567