Re: powerdns check with debian edu.

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Hi Ronny,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:31:26PM +0200, Ronny Aasen wrote:
Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
Hi,

I have used successfully install powerdns with cd-lenny-dvd.
I use this howto:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/LdapifyServices

Unfortunately ldap is broken in cd-lenny-test-dvd because the
ssl certificate of the ldapserver seams lost.
danielsan told me the reason may be that the ssl directory may not be accessible to others. something like chmod o+x /etc/ldap/ssl might help on that.

Perhaps it is inaccessible for a good reason, and your proposed change creates a locally exploitable security hole:

If the file contains only a public certificate there should be no security issue in making it world readable. But if the file contains the private key then it should *not* be revealed to others.

It does not matter for security (only for trust) if the certificate is self-signed or not: SSL in essentially insecure if private key is not kept private!

that is actaly the directory containing the cert and key. and the key is only readably by root.

Ronny