Re: Proposal for solution to the PXE install support when offline

[Holger Levsen]
> "I believe this problem is really really important and needs to be
> fixed and I don't care if the solution breaks basic assumptions like
> that a .deb can be rebuild from .dsc and orig.tar.gz alone" is not
> useful neither.

I am sorry you fail to see the usefulness of this approach.  It is
useful because it provide a _working solution_ to the problem.

> If policy is just a handwaver which we can break whenever we "need"
> to solve shortterm problems, it's worthless.

I am also sorry you see it this way.  I believe the policy has value
even if it has to be "handwaved" when we need to solve short term
issues.  Besides, you seem to believe that the archive policy as
written block us from including packages that have problems.  It does
not state this, it states "normally we accept only packages which are
also part of Debian", and I claim that this case is exceptional, as in
not normal.

I believe I will leave this for others to evaluate and follow up, and
focus on other issues for now.  I have made a solution to this release
critical issue available, and as far as I can see it is the best
option we have among the bad ones we have available.  As I wrote in my
initial email, I believe it is a worse solution to just copy the
tarballs into the DVD, for variuos reasons.  If anyone find a new
option in addition to the two I have sketched that is better than this
proposal, I am all for it, but until anyone do that, I suggest we go
ahead with this exceptional solution for Lenny.

Happy hacking,