Re: Proposal for solution to the PXE install support when offline

[Holger Levsen]
> So this feature is working for most installs, as I think it's safe
> to assume that most installations will have internet access.

Nope, it is not safe to assume.  The DVD installs need to work without
Internet access.

>> I tried last summer to convince the Debian Installer developer team
>> to make debs of the d-i images, but no-one found time to work on
>> it, and it is thus missing for Lenny.
>
> URL? Bug report?

A quick google search did not lead me anywhere, and I do not have more
time to track it down.

A package with similar needs (and I discussed this need with its
author) is documented on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/NetbootAssistant>.
Perhaps the author remember any URLs.

> I've looked at the package now and I have to reject it. The binary
> package contains software without sources in the source package and
> it also lacks copyright information about the binaries in there.
> Thats really not acceptable if we want to call ourselves "_Debian_
> Edu".

Oh, come on.  With this argument, the d-i boot images on the CDs and
DVDs needs to be removed too.  We do not have the source for theses
either.  But I have no doubt there is source to be found for those
that want to recreate them.  You are not forced to reject it, if you
do so it is because you want to.  I believe this approach and apckage
is the best of the bad options we have, and unless someone come up
with better option, I believe we should use it for Lenny.  "I do not
believe this problem is important and do not like the proposed
solutions" is not really a useful approach to solving the problems we
need to fix, and I hope we can avoid ending up there.

The archive policy is there to make sure we have the long term goal of
getting all we want in Debian in sight all the time, not to make it
impossible to find short term solutions to real problems that need to
be solved before the release.

Happy hacking,