Re: Proposal for solution to the PXE install support when offline

Hi,

On Montag, 6. April 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The Lenny version of Skolelinux/Debian Edu will automatically set up a
> PXE boot option on the main network, with support for installing
> directly from the net using a preseeded version of the normal
> installer.  This option is only enabled when the main-server has
> access to the Internet when installing, because it need access to the
> Debian Installer netboot images to get this working.

So this feature is working for most installs, as I think it's safe to assume
that most installations will have internet access.

> I tried last summer to convince the Debian Installer developer team to
> make debs of the d-i images, but no-one found time to work on it, and
> it is thus missing for Lenny.

URL? Bug report?

> As this did not happen for Lenny, we need to make a hack in Debian
> Edu/Lenny to solve it for us, and I have implemented such hack.

As written above, I'm not convinced that we _need_ it.

> It
> consist of a deb (d-i-bootimages) consisting of copies of the tarballs
> fetched from a Debian mirror.  The source is simple, just wget/cp to
> get the images in place.  I've uploaded this package to our lenny-test
> archive and it is waiting in NEW.

I've looked at the package now and I have to reject it. The binary package
contains software without sources in the source package and it also lacks
copyright information about the binaries in there. Thats really not
acceptable if we want to call ourselves "_Debian_ Edu".

regards,
	Holger