Re: Problem with new install

Frederik wrote:
Hi group,
I'm new to Skolelinux and not exactly experienced in the linux world as such. My networking skills are very limited, so i hope you'll all bear with me.

I have downloaded debian-edu-etch-i386-netinst-3.0r1.iso
I have a HP G4 server with to NICs.

During install i hooked nic 1 up to my home router wich runs dhcp and deals out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. All worked smooth. I choose the Server, Workstation (Client?), and Thin Client profiles during setup.

Using a different computer i changed my router to have ip 10.0.2.1 and NOT provide dhcp, since dhcp will now be provided by the server.

Reboot.

I can now PXE boot on nic2 (eth1 i presume) which is great.
I can access home drive, server web pages, run various programs on both pxe client and server.

I cannot, however, access the internet i any way.

My questions are:
- What should i do?
- Could i use the server on the 10.0.2.x network via nic1 (static ip but dhcp running on router) while dealing out 192.168.1.x addresses to my thin clients on nic2?
- How can i isolate the problem? (dhcp? netmask? squid?)

I hope someone out there will help - this would make a lot of kids happy :)

/Frederik (from Denmark)

Thanks for your input.
I did a fresh install using only the server and thin-client server profiles.
Everything works now :)

There are a number of unanswered questions, but the most pressing one is: how hoes the server do DNS? (again, excuse my lack of knowledge) I have at no step indicated the address of my ISP's DNS server.

Will i need to change anything if i move the server to a new location (from:basement, to:school) and a new ISP?

Thanks, :)
Frederik