Re: running testsuite takes long

Hi,

On Monday 23 June 2008 22:34, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Why does it take so long?
> The test suite is quite slow, yes.  Not sure why, but it happen for
> all profiles.

Ok, I've just added code to debian-edu-test-install to write timestamps to the
logfile, so we can find out, which test takes so long and then hopefully fix
that.

> > Why is it run twice?
> This is a suger profile issue, because the suger profile do not
> install readahead,

Ah, ok. For now, I would propose that the Sugar profile doesnt install
readahead as the typical machines where the Sugar profile is most useful
(small laptops like the OLPC XO or the EEEPC) have flash drives and readahead
is basically useless (or maybe harmful (in the sense of being slower not
faster)) on flash disks, as they virtually have no seek times anyway.

> and there is a bug in the script as it crashes and
> do not clean up if /etc/readahead/ exist when the test script is execited.

I added a check to debian-edu-install.firstboot to test if readahead is
installed, so that /etc/readahead/profile-once is only touched if it is.

> > Why is it run?
> To detect bugs in the installation system.  It should be disabled in
> the production version, but for test installation it is very useful to
> detect bugs in our configurations.

How do we make sure this will happen? :)

regards,
	Holger