Re: Best way to install Java JAR files (java packaging)

Dear list,

I must clarify and deliver footnotes here (sorry):

Am Samstag 24 Mai 2008 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
> nowadays there are dozens of free java applications that are valuable
> for education. Some of those are even quoted in standard school
> books:

^ I admit that I used "free" intentional unspecified here. The degree of
  freedom ranges from GPL down to: Free for educational purpose...

> geonext [1]
> geogebra [2]
>
> to name two from the mathematical branch. Then we have JFractionLab
> [3] (better than kbruch),

1-3 are really free (GPL or similar)

> and for "Informatique" we use BlueJ [4],
> JavaKara [5] and JPrologEditor [6] (those are non-GPL).

Rather free as "free beer", indeed:

1. http://geonext.uni-bayreuth.de/
2. http://www.geogebra.org
3. http://www.gnugeo.de/jfractionlab/jfractionlab.html
   (only partly localized AFAIK)
4. http://www.bluej.org/
5. http://www.swisseduc.ch/informatik/karatojava/javakara/index.html
   (German only?)
6. http://www.trix.homepage.t-online.de/JPrologEditor/

Tvbrowser.org and Freemind.sourceforge.net are further references.

The query for source-less deb-creation was thought for temporary/local
usage (uers/non-DDs) to use all the advantages of deb-Packages.

If there is a way to create deb packages for private usage from JAR
file, I'd volunteer to test and document it...

Regards
Ralf