Re: Is FreeNX server an issue for Debian-Edu?

Onsdag 19 mars 2008 13:44, skrev Andreas Tille:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Heinz-M. Graesing wrote:
> > you may find the nx libraries as code and binary (for debian lenny/etch)
> > on our project sites:
> > http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8454 (x2go).
> > Without our applied patches, those libs should work with freenx (freenx
> > contains only of some shell scripts - so there are no compatibilty
> > problems). Our repository is up to date, so there aro no outdated
> > libraries (nx).
>
> So you mean I should download all nx*_i386.deb packages, install them
> on my local machine, go to  http://freenx.berlios.de/  and install the
> tarball.  Is this your suggestion to get a working FreeNX server?
>
> > There was a discussion about the integration of x2go in debian and I
> > think freenx would have the same problems as our project (the use of code
> > not linked against debians own x.org version). If this question could be
> > answered, we would support a solution for those libraries (at the moment,
> > our community is to small to fork nx in that needed way).
> > If you have further questions, feel free to ask - we are really
> > interested to get this issue solved.
>
> I'm as well.
>
> > PS:
> > Maybe x2go is a solution for you, because our repository contains a
> > complete debian based thin client environment (containing pxe-boot, open
> > source client(s), ldap support and classroom surveillance).
>
> Well, I have to deal with Win clients unfortunately and so this is
> no solution for me.  Any solution that serves a brain dead easy
> assess from a Win Client to a Debian box and access some applications
> there would be welcome.  Speed is no real problem in a 100MBit network.
>
> Kind regards
>
>            Andreas.
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de

Have you considered using Xnest in Cygwin?

Install Cygwin on Windows client, set it up with X (and Xnest) and make a
desktop icon on Windows client for starting the nested X-server in Cygwin.

Some years ago I used this setup for a kid, a disabeled pupil hopelessly
locked to a set of Windows-tools by his mentor, at a local school using
Skolelinux. It was a bit fiddely to find the correct arguments for Xnest (ie.
enterpet the manual :) ), but the kid used this setup for two years with no
complaints.

This setup meant no need for changes to the LTS back then, only the
installment of Cygwin on Windows ...

And no, I don't remember all details. Unfortunately I don't have time
recreating the setup either ...

But it did work well.

Regards
Gjermund Skogstad