Re: Is FreeNX server an issue for Debian-Edu?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Heinz-M. Graesing wrote:

you may find the nx libraries as code and binary (for debian lenny/etch) on
our project sites:
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8454 (x2go).
Without our applied patches, those libs should work with freenx (freenx
contains only of some shell scripts - so there are no compatibilty
problems). Our repository is up to date, so there aro no outdated libraries
(nx).

So you mean I should download all nx*_i386.deb packages, install them
on my local machine, go to  http://freenx.berlios.de/  and install the
tarball.  Is this your suggestion to get a working FreeNX server?

There was a discussion about the integration of x2go in debian and I
think freenx would have the same problems as our project (the use of code
not linked against debians own x.org version). If this question could be
answered, we would support a solution for those libraries (at the moment,
our community is to small to fork nx in that needed way).
If you have further questions, feel free to ask - we are really interested
to get this issue solved.

I'm as well.

PS:
Maybe x2go is a solution for you, because our repository contains a complete
debian based thin client environment (containing pxe-boot, open source
client(s), ldap support and classroom surveillance).

Well, I have to deal with Win clients unfortunately and so this is
no solution for me.  Any solution that serves a brain dead easy
assess from a Win Client to a Debian box and access some applications
there would be welcome.  Speed is no real problem in a 100MBit network.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de