Re: OLPC and Tjener

Hi Jonas,

On Saturday 08 March 2008 16:09, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Yeah - I worked hard last night. Not finished at all, some core packages
> are still missing, and all the fun ones too. But I decided to upload now
> to not be blocked by the upcoming soft-freeze.

Yeah, release early, release often is often a good strategy :) Thanks again
for your great work!

> Thanks for pushing me.

You're very welcome ;)

And thanks for doing the same: this upload let me to put "building XO and XS
profiles" on the agenda for todays irc meeting.

> We talked about the packaging method back in the fall. I use CDBS and
> Git, which you don't feel comfortable with.

I think you got my "feelings" a bit wrong: I (still) don't think cdbs is good
for package maintainance, but I've (now) decided I will give it a try for the
time being. That is, there is so much important other work to be done, that's
it's not sensible to change the color of the bikeshed now. Maybe later, as
$color really hurts the eye ;-)

You're right that I'm not that experienced with git that I'm comfortable with
it, but I'd *love* to learn and use it more!

> I really do want to convince
> you, and have tried hard to make these packages a showcase of the
> niceties of those tools - so please take a look at README.packaging in
> the source and see if you can follow. Do the first steps of pulling the
> source from Git, and then read the README.packaging from there - I did
> some improvements today too, about tracking both upstream tarballs and
> upstream Git development concurrently, which I find übergejl ;-) .

Will do, thanks for the pointers!

As they are still in NEW, do you have downloadable sources and binaries
somewhere accessable?

> I decided to join the OLPC team at Alioth. Next upload will be with that
> group as official Maintainer, and myself as uploader. Let's see how that
> evolves...

Cool, great!

> You proposed to alternatively use the debian-edu team. I generally favor
> many teams with narrow focus over large teams with broad focus: It is
> much easier to subsvribe to multiple teams than it is to avoid the
> "noise" of only interested in parts of what a large team works on.

I agree.

> I recommend that debian-edu concentrates on the specific tasks of
> rolling out a CDD + working as an umbrella for the myriad of other teams
> that is important for debian-edu but makes sense to work on also without
> "the whole shebang" of debian-edu:
>
>  * Join debian-custom for work on the roll-out system
>  * Join debian-olpc for packaging OLPC
>  * Join debian-desktop for smoothing the desktop experience
>  * Join debian-doc for work on the debian-edu manual infrastructure
>  * Join debian-multimedia for issues with sound on thin clients
>  * Join debian-printing for printer accounting
>  * Join debian-webapps for packaging web-based apps
>  * Join debian-i18n for translation infrastructure
>  * Join debian-publicity for promoting debian-edu
>
> ...and share the _results_ relevant for debian-edu from those other
> teams here.

Agaim, I agree.

:-)

regards,