Re: Doubts and question about the merging of LinEx in Debian Edu

Andreas Tille wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

That's a very interesting video, that I hadn't seen yet :)

but it only reinforces the need for basic computer skills, it shows the
computers as a basic tool used in every class, replacing things like
encyclopedias, and reference books
-> if those kids lack a basic computer literacy at this point, there would
be something seriously wrong with those schools

Sure.  I agree with you that pupils should be able to cope with different
desktops as they should with say different textbooks.  But I do not think
that exchanging a textbook in the middle of the year is a good idea and
thus I think sticking to something you are used to is not really a bad idea.
You just become distracted by unimportant things like different optics,
different shortcuts etc.  The fact that you should be able to cope with
different desktops does not mean that it makes sense to switch your working
environment frequently.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

The video is great, but badly scripted in English, especially use of the word "freeware" all the time. At my school we have used icewm, gnome, then KDE in successive years, but that is not the point. The point is that Linex is used by all the civil servants in Extremadura. Those are the people who shouldn't have unnecessary GUI changes, and who will complain when things don't work the way they used to. Linex is probably the world leader in widespread linux adoption. We should listen to their advice. Of course kids can manage any GUI you give them. If our servers have enough grunt, we could give kids the choice at login. Its good to expose them to aspects of linux that are better than windows, so no-one gets the mistaken impression that linux is a cheap replacement.

nigel