Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 04:02:50AM +0100, Halvor Dahl wrote:
> Knut Yrvin wrote:
> >- By negotiate, it could be possible to make a win-win deal for
> >  both Debian-Edu and Mozilla. I don't know if this works,
> >  but Chris Beards blog sums up an opening:
> >
> >  http://cbeard.typepad.com/mozilla/2006/10/mozilla_and_ubu.html
> >
> Thanks Knut, this was very interesting reading.  The fact that Ubuntu
> was able to keep the Firefox brand after negotiating with Mozilla implies
> that this is more a matter of principles than it is extra work load.

having read the bug report (http://bugs.debian.org/354622) that lead to
debian being unable to ship with the name firefox, i have to disagree.

key point being having each and every patch that deviates from the
official mozilla firefox sources reviewed and approved by mozilla is
indeed additional work, and could potentially delay security and other
important fixes.

take the reporting of the trademark violation itself(the above mentioned
bug), which was reported in late february of 2006. debian developers
responded with questions within several days(some of which were
answered), and then the dialog stalled till... september. thats about 7
months where questions went unanswered.

now, granted, patches would hopefully be reviewed in a timely manner.
but seriously, if you can't fix bugs without someone else's permission,
on their time-frame... it's not just a philosophical stance, it's a
practical one.

live well,
  vagrant