Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Thursday 1. March 2007, Luk Claes wrote:
> You do understand that if you consider using the Firefox name in Debian-Edu
> that you have to ask Mozilla if all changes are OK and that this means if
> you do it properly quite some changes to the Debian version?

Yes.

I've read the bug-track where Mike Connor, representing the Mozilla
Foundation, wrote to Debian and informed them that Mozilla did not consider
the way in which Debian was using the Firefox name to be acceptable.

And Debian-Edu will certainly not use time repackaging software maintained
outside of Debian-Edu/Debian, because of little flexibility from Mozilla
Foundation.

Staying the course even made Sun Microsoft open up, GPL-ing Java (Sun
representatives says the library's will be released as open source in +two
months). Sun now uses a lot of resources making Sun available on every free
software platform.

But consider this:

1. Using a unbranded globe, could make the similarities good
  enough for schools.
2. Deliberate a bit more with Mozilla Foundation, because the Debian
  people did not have time for now to negotiation. Canonical pulled
  this of.
3. Pulling in Mozillas packages for Debian (if that exists).
4. Replacing the Whole Firefox with Konqueror, using a look allike free icon,
   and make the settings in Konqueror identical to look and feel in Firefox
   (this is doable).

I got contacts whit graphical designers able to make a free icon that gives
nice look and feel, based on the Artic fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_fox

Best regards

Knut Yrvin
--
Community Manager / Developer Tools - Trolltech ASA
cell: + 47 908 95 765, phone: +47 21 60 27 58